Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies--After


The cookies are a family recipe. I have no idea where my mother got the recipe from (I rather suspect a very old, battered, cookbook that survived being half buried in mud, but I digress...) but for as long as I can remember these were the only oatmeal cookies we ever made.

I often (as I did this time) add in chocolate chips, but they certainly aren't necessary for a delicious result. The coconut makes for a soft, moist cookie (even my coconut hating college roommate loved these) and the cinnamon gives them an bit of a lift beyond the ordinary.

Ingredients:
1 cup Shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal (NOT instant)
1 cup coconut
1 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream shortening and sugars together.
Add eggs beat well.
Add vanilla, cinnamon, and baking soda mix together.
Add flour, oatmeal, and coconut; mix together well.
Drop by rounded teaspoon on cookie sheet. (Or just buy one of the most ridiculous sounding but handy kitchen gadgets ever.)

Note: If using a standard cookie sheet you'll need to grease it. Air bake sheets require no greasing and produce a softer cookie.

Bake @ 375F for 10-12 minutes. Makes 3 to 4 dozen cookies. (Using my nifty cookie scoop I got exactly 48 cookies out of this batch).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Favouriting this! they look great! I dont like cookies that are too chwy and they look fine :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...